Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hello to all, yes I am recovering from surgery quite well. And bonus to MaryAnne. She made me homemade soup for dinner tonight, it is the first real food I have been able to swallow since the surgery. It tasted sooooo good. In case you are wondering, our good friend Dr. Gaufin said he got in there and saw 3 good reasons for having the surgery-said I have probably been suffering for a while. (I tried to tell them-what can I say?) But its over now and I feel GREAT!!

AND, case anyone is interested-here is my birthday cake. When I was little my mom made a Boston Creme Pie for my birthday every year except that we lived on a chicken farm and had so many eggs that she made it with a chiffon cake. I still make the cake, because it is the best for strawberry shortcake, and fruitbasket cake. It is the only cake I can make from scratch and it alway (well, almost always) works. It is a recipe I never want to lose-so carry on, keep it in the family and when I am old (older) and can't (or won't) cook anymore, one of you can make my birthday cake for me. (Love you all)

Chiffon Cake

Mix together in a large bowl:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt


Make a well and add in order:

1/2 cup oil
8 egg yoks (use large eggs if possible)
3/4 cup cold water
2 tsp vanilla

In a separate bowl, beat until stiff:

8 egg whites
1/2 cream of tarter

Pour egg yolk mixture gradually over beaten whites, gently folding in with rubber scraper just until blended.
Pour into ungreased pan ( usually us a large funnel pan).
Bake at 325 for 55 minutes then 350 for 10-15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
Invert on funnel or cups - let hang until cool.
(If you bake in oblong pan, 350 for 45-50 minutes)

For my birthday, cut into layers and add custard filling and ice with chocolate frosting
For MaryAnne's birthday (next week by the way) , cut into layers and add plenty of fresh strawberries and whip cream.

OK, there it is-enjoy

1 comment:

  1. haha i like all the little hints in there mom....and yay for a great surgery and yay for showing why your the matriach of the tough vanderhoef's!!

    ReplyDelete