Monday, January 25, 2010

A very NOT Healthy Recipe, The Monte Cristo

Ok so here's the deal. I've really been trying to put up healthy recipes because I'm trying to eat healthy...well, having that said, this recipe is definitely NOT healthy. I will not post nutritional facts so that I don't feel so guilty. I haven't made these for months, but they are to die for.

Background story is this. When Andy and I went to Disneyland the first time together, we ate at this place called Cafe Orleans. I got this sandwich and it was so good that I insisted on going back to Disneyland the next time we were in California JUST to get me another one of these sandwiches. Its not really like me to pick the option that is deep fried, but it was this or a salmon crepe...enough said. I don't do seafood. So here it is, I don't actually deep fry it, although it would be a million times better if I could, I just put a little butter in a pan and flip it like a grilled cheese. But its the batter that makes this thing AWESOME!!!

This recipe makes 16 mini-sandwiches.

Ingredients

1 quart oil for frying, or as needed
2/3 cup water
1 egg
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 slices white bread
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 slices turkey
4 slices ham
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar for dusting

Directions

Heat 5 inches of oil in a deep-fryer to 365 degrees F (180 degrees C). While oil is heating, make the batter: In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and water. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper; whisk into the egg mixture until smooth. Set aside in the refrigerator.

Assemble sandwiches by placing one slice of turkey on one slice of bread, a slice of ham on another, then sandwich them with the Swiss cheese in the middle. Cut sandwiches into quarters, and secure with toothpicks.

Dip each sandwich quarter in the batter so that all sides are coated. Deep fry in the hot oil until golden brown on all sides. Remove toothpicks and arrange on a serving tray. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.

The cafe also served it with fresh fruit and a jam sort of thing that I wouldn't be able to re-create if I tried so try a bunch of different things. Definitely try the powdered sugar though, its great.

OK, good luck and I hope you enjoy it! Have fun clogging up your arteries so that you can run it off the next day!!!

Recipe is courtesy of www.allrecipes.com.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha michelle this is awesome! Sarah has a deep fryer i think so she will have to try it that way and let us all know!

    ReplyDelete