Monday, January 11, 2010

Recipe # 1 Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

By: Michelle

Alrighty then…day number one and I decided to start off with one of my favorite crock pot din dins. I’m not a big Mexican food eater because it usually makes me SUPER sick, so I usually go with Café Rio, or flautas. That’s it. Then one trip out to California, Andy’s mom made this soup and I absolutely love it. Its real easy, and because it is the beginning of the year, of course Andy and I are trying to eat healthy so this soup is really healthy. The recipe Andy’s mom gave me had all the nutritional information as well, so here it is!

What you need:



2 cans of canned Corn

1 can of Chili Beans

1 can of Black Beans

2 cans of Stewed Tomatoes with green chilis

1 can Chicken Broth

1 small can of Tomato Sauce

2 Large Chicken Breasts

1 packet of Taco Seasoning

Optional:

Fat Free Sour Cream

A bag of Fritos or tortilla strips

Grated Cheese



*I don’t do spicy in the least bit so I do one can of regular stewed tomatoes and one can with the chilis.

Hint: Living with Andy's grandma who cooks every meal definitely has paid off. She taught me to always use a bag in the crock pot so that you don't have to clean it! However, crock pot bags can be a bit pricey, so she just uses oven bags cuz they're cheaper and still work perfectly! Oh, and don't tuck it in between the crock pot bowl and crock pot...its just bad so don't do it!


Add all the ingredients to the crock pot, except the chicken, and stir well until mixed.



Press thawed chicken breasts in till slightly covered. Cook on your preferred setting. About an hour or two before its finished, take the chicken out, shred it, and replace it for the remaining time.



*I’m impatient so I cook it on high. This is the kind of thing that I only make when I crave it so I hate waiting for it in the slow cooker. Because of this, I also cut the chicken breasts in half so they cook faster…I know that the recipe is kinda vague when it comes to cooking time etc, so shoot for like three hours-ish? when its on high. Really, the chicken just needs to be cooked through.

Serve with chips, we like fritos even though they are not healthy, sour cream and I like mozzerella cheese but Andy likes cheddar.


Here’s the nutritional information

Fat: 1.9 grams

Carbs: 34.1 grams

Calories: 240.9 grams

Protein: 24.5 grams

Servings: 8

*Yeah, I don’t know the serving size…so its not that helpful...sorry.

Yummy Yummy in my Tummy! Hope everyone enjoys!!!

And for fun...This ugly dog likes to be annoying in the kitchen when I cook....




2 comments:

  1. Michelle you rock!!! Thanks for this I can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good and the pictures are so fancy. I am not expecting my blog to look like this though so no expectations. I am excited for all the good recipes (so is Derek).

    ReplyDelete