Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mexican Lasagna

Yes I know it is late but I am posting my recipe.

Ingredients
3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 lbs ground chicken, turkey, hamburger, whatever meat you want (I use chicken breast and just chopped it up in my chopper)
2 Tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 red onion, chopped (or however much you like)
1 can black beans (or whatever kind of beans you like)
1 Cup taco sauce or 1 can stewed or fire roasted tomatoes (I use the stewed tomatoes and I add a little bit of fresh salsa)
1 can of corn
salt
8 (8 in) spinach flour tortillas
cheese (any kind you like)
2 scallions

Directions
Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 T of olive oil. Add meat and season with chili powder, cumin, and red onion (I brown my chicken by itself first and chop it up. Then I put the chicken back into the pan and add everything together). Brown meat 5 min. Add taco sauce or stewed tomatoes. Add black beans and corn. Heat through 2 to 3 min. Season with salt to taste. Coat a shallow baking dish with olive oil. Cut tortillas in half or quarters to make them easy to layer with. Build lasagna in layers of meat and beans, cheese, tortillas, meat and beans, cheese, tortillas. Top with cheese. Bake lasagna 12-15 min until the cheese is brown and bubbly. Top with scallions and sour cream or whatever you like.

It is super easy to make. When I made it I made half with beans for Derek and half without for me and baked it in the same dish. There are lots of different ways to change this up so really just add what you like.

Thank you Rachel Ray for this recipe. If you want to watch a video on it you can find it on foodnetwork.com and look under the chefs. Pick Rachel Ray and go from there.

Good luck and enjoy!!




1 comment:

  1. This sounds good! You were right this is something I would like!! Thanks Sarah

    ReplyDelete