Friday, March 19, 2010

Sloppy Joes

"Finger-Licking Good"

Not to rain on MaryAnne's parade, but I completely got my days mixed up and thought today was Thursday. So sorry! Anyway, this recipe reminds me of my childhood. We would always take sloppy joes to family picnics and BBQs. For some reason I was craving them the other day and decided to make them. I don't think this is the same recipe my mom used, but they are still good.

Ingredients
1 lb. hamburger
1 small onion
1 small can tomato sauce
1/2 c. ketchup
1 T. mustard
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 bay leaf
salt to taste
garlic salt to taste
pepper to taste

Directions
Cook hamburger and onion until browned. Add tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, bay leaf, salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste. Simmer, adding more water, if necessary, for about 20 min. Serve on hamburger buns (we used ciabatta bread because that is what looked good to me at the store).




1 comment:

  1. This is very impressive and looks great. I love sloppy joes but it usually includes some hamburger and manwich. I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete