Thursday, June 24, 2010

Southwest Chicken


So I noticed my last week's recipe was the last post. What's the deal? Did everyone run out of recipes already or do you just have more of a life than I do?

Anyway, this is what I made for dinner tonight. I was trying to find a recipe to use things we had on hand and this is what I came up with. We didn't quite have all the ingredients so I had to modify it a little bit but we both really liked it still so here it is. I'll post the actual recipe because it looks really good and I want to make it once we do have everything for it. Then I'll put what what I did differently.

6 boneless chicken breast halves
6 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 2" x 1/2" sticks
2 cans (4 oz.) chopped green chiles, drained
1/2 c. dry bread crumbs
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 T. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. butter, melted

Flatten chicken to 1/2" thickness. Place a cheese stick down the middle of each and top with chilies. Roll up and tuck in ends; secure with toothpick. In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, chili powder, salt, and cumin. Coat chicken with flour, then dip in butter and roll in crumb mixture. Place roll ups, seam side down, in a greased baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 400 for 25 minutes or until chicken is done. Discard the toothpicks.

We didn't have any cheese or green chilies so I skipped the whole flattening and rolling up part and just breaded them and baked them. Then I made a sauce out of Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chilies, a can of cream of chicken soup, and about 1/2 cup sour cream. We heated the sauce in a saucepan and put it on top of the chicken when it was done baking. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment